BUFFALO CARSHARE REPORTS GROUNDBREAKING IMPACTS IN UNIQUE MARKET
Non-profit claims over 100 cars have been taken off the road, while serving an economically and racially diverse membership base.
Buffalo CarShare (BCS) is proud to report our progress toward goals of social equity and environmental sustainability. Based on the results of our 2nd annual survey, members tell us that our service allows them to trim their budget while enjoying increased freedom to travel. Many of our 450 members rely on the service to access healthy food, medical care, and employment opportunities.
Cecil Corbin-Mark with the NYS Transportation Equity Alliance observes; “While transportation equity remains an obstacle for many, Buffalo CarShare has been effective in filling a gap in transportation service for low income and minority communities. Their service advances solutions to climate change by taking additional cars off the road, and decreases the burden of car ownership for families."
Members say that they walk, bike, and take transit more, and 34% either gave up a vehicle or decided not to buy one after joining CarShare. That's over 100 cars we help to take off the road, and 25,000 less gallons of gas!
- 61% of member households own no vehicle
- 59% have used NFTA bus or rail to get to a car, and 17% use it every time they reserve.
- 28% of members walk more than before joining BCS, and 25% use transit more.
We asked members what they used the service for, and how often. Below is a highlight of the answers:
- 75% have used BCS to access medical care
- 5% use BCS to get to the grocery
- 46% used it at least once to get to a job interview